Team-Building & Experiential Learning
Sikhulile Solutions have a wide and diverse range of team-building programmes – from corporate team building activities to customised sports and school youth team building exercises. We offer both outdoor and indoor team building activities.
Ask any group what is “effective teamwork” and you will probably hear comments such as:
- A shared direction that’s clearly understood by all
- Clear and defined team roles
- Logical systems that support individual, team and organisational goals
- Supportive relationships based on clear, open and honest communication
If teams do not take goals, roles, systems and relationships into account, they will certainly be less effective. However, an intellectual understanding of teamwork and how to make it succeed are simply not enough. For example, how many people have been on a time management course, and yet despite the extra knowledge and skill, are still late for meetings?
The same principle applies to other behaviours, be they at the personal or inter-personal levels. Understanding what should be done is not enough, it has to be experienced. People need to experience what it’s like to succeed through new or different behaviour, because only then will the required behaviour become embedded and even habitual. This is why Sikhulile Solutions’s programmes are based on the principles of Experiential Learning; people see, do, feel and then truly understand how to perform at their peak.
Sikulile Solutions provides a compelling learning environment, optimising the power of experiential learning with indoor and outdoor activities. The latter includes the Sikulile Solutions Ropes Course where appropriate. Whether outside or in, activities are designed to be stimulating and engaging, practical and thought-provoking. Most importantly, they lead to more effective practice in the workplace.
Within this framework, experiences will illustrate, promote and develop the target skills required by your business as previously identified. Facilitated debriefing after each activity ensure that key learning’s are identified and integrated, and linked back to the reality of the workplace. Action plans provide a compelling and motivating vision of the future, outlining the specific behaviours required upon return to work.
Adventure Experiential Learning – Outdoor Team Building Activities
Inter-dependency of experiential learning and theory to activities create an extremely effective learning medium. Experiential learning aims not to teach concepts, skills and values, but to offer individuals opportunities to internalise and embrace ideas and ideals because they have experienced.
Adventurous obstacles and fun activities as a medium to transfer theoretical knowledge. The metaphoric use of customized industry scenarios ensures the integration of learning from the adventure program to the team member’s private and work life.
Team-Building – Expected Outcomes
All our team-building programmes aim to achieve the following:
- Transferring theory to practice through adventure experiential challenges
- Ensuring personal and group insight
- Retaining work related and job specific learning through continuous physical and social interaction
- Through non-threatening role-play the individuals’ core competencies
- Linking the theoretical, intellectual and physical spheres
Fun team-building experiences
In an empowered and productive organisation, employee motivation and participation are essential. Outdoor activities have the potential to stretch boundaries and can act as a catalyst for increased inspiration and participation. Although these adventures are often unfamiliar, people laugh, play and explore new ways of interacting.
Leveling of roles: Whatever the relationships within a team, outdoor challenges place everyone on common ground. Participants have to work together to solve structured problems that require collaboration, communication, and an understanding of individual strengths and weaknesses.
Practical exercises are provided in a safe environment where the results of experimentation and discovery can be explored and integrated. Results are not only seen immediately, but also experienced, and the associated learning is rich and powerful. Research indicates that experiential learning is thirteen times more effective and lasting than a classical classroom-based approach.
Within this framework, experiences will illustrate, promote and develop the target skills as required by your business. Facilitated debriefing after each activity ensures that key learning areas are identified and integrated, and linked back to the workplace. Action plans provide a compelling and motivating vision for the future, outlining the specific behaviours required upon return to work.
Some of our fun Competitive team building experiences are:
The delegates will be put in a spot where they will discover a few things they did not know about themselves and their team Clues will lead you to make sure your team and the “country” your exploring comes out tops.
OUTCOMES: Teamwork, Time Management, fun and competing
Minute to win it:
Your team will compete in 10 challenges each – made up of regular household items. The team will have 60 minutes to complete the 10 challenges and accumulate points as you go along. Come out on top as the winner.
OUTCOMES: Time management, sense of urgency, support and teamwork
Learn from the master of drumming! Follow his beat so that the team finds his own African drum beat. Watch how you together create your company’s beat that will stick forever.
OUTCOMES: Teamwork, synergy, Team Spirit and fun
Around the world in 60 minutes:
Live your dreams! Have the opportunity to visit different countries in 60 seconds where you will taste the food you love and learn something amazing about that country through clues and story telling.
OUTCOMES: Communication, teamwork, leadership and synergy
Just as a house needs bricks for a strong structure, so organizations need teams with strong links and character to build capacity. An effective organisation is developed by effective teams.
- Process can include
- Pre-assessments to design needs-based interventions
- Basic team composition, role clarity, identifying performance gaps resulting into implementation plans and structure
- Duration : Conference filler – ½ day (This is not ideal but can act as an introduction)
- 1 day – 3 days: linked to specific outcomes of the organization
Each team within the organisation should consist of individuals who are committed to personal and organizational growth.
Experiential Learning aims to equip teams with tools and techniques to effectively overcome challenges, and it will assist them at all levels in their quest for peak performance.
- Team leaders: leaders are assessed on their management roles, i.e. their planning, organizing and controlling of the teams
- “The leadership matrix” explores the skills, techniques and challenges of leadership through an experience of the Matrix
- “Red Arrows” – learning with the successful Red Arrows flying team.
- “C.O.A.C.H to win……!” – understand the basics of coaching through learning and practicing specifics in a safe environment
- “Work to win…..!” Production/Service teams: Using AEL (Adventure Experiential Learning) as a vehicle to equip teams to achieve common goals; this process builds a solid foundation of mutual trust and respect through adult learning principles. Suited to all levels of the organisation, experiential learning is fun and participative and teams transform into closely knit, focused groups that can apply practical, immediate implementable strategies.
- Duration: 1 – 3 days – a needs-based intervention aligned with the strategic outcomes of organisation
Team Recreation Adventures
This is ideal for celebrating success and achieved targets, as well as for stress release, team spirit and of just plain fun to create teamness.
- River rafting
- 4×4 trails
- Theme evenings
- Zip line
For more information regarding our Team Building Services in Gauteng, Sandton and Johannesburg areas, South Africa and Southern Africa please contact us now.